Present Continuous Tense
Read these sentences.
1. I am watching television.
2. They are reading in the library.
3. Swati is working on the computer.
The words printed in bold are verbs and they are in the present continuous tense. They tells us about actions which are still going on, e.g., 'am watching', 'are reading', and 'is working'.
The present continuous tense tells us about actions that are going on at the time of speaking.
FORM OF THE PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
We use is/are/am + -ing form of the verb.
1. I am walking.
am + 'ing' form of the verb 'walk'
2. She is riding a bicycle.
is + 'ing' form of the verb 'ride'
The '-ing' form of the verb.
- In case of most verbs, we add '-ing' to the original form of the verb.
1. sleep + ing = sleeping
2. play + ing = playing
3. eat + ing = eating
- When a verbs ends in 'e', we omit the 'e' and add '-ing'.
+ ing = rising
+ ing = riding
+ ing = shining
- In case of certains verbs, we double the last letter before adding '-ing'.
+ ing = running
+ ing = hitting
+ ing = shutting
- When a verbs ends in '-ie', we change '-ie' to '-y' and then add 'ing'.
+ ing = dying
+ ing = tying
+ ing = lying
A. Write down the '-ing' form of the following verbs.
1. send ___
2. write ___
3. carry ___
4. watch ___
5. blow ___
6. sing ___
7. drink ___
8. hide ___
9. fly ___
10. talk ___
11. die ___
12. hit ___
B. Match the following.
C. Fill in the blanks with present continuous form of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. Nitu ______ music from Mrs Sen. (learn)
2. The children _____ in the river. (swim)
3. Mansi _____ cartoons on television. (watch)
4. Prashant _____ a letter to his friend in Jaipur. (write)
5. The woodcutters _____ the logs together. (tie)
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE AND PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
Read the following sentences.
1. I play
in the park.
2. I am playing
in the park.
In sentence 1., the verb 'play' is in the simple present tense. It tells us what 'I do' usually as a habitual action.
In sentence 2., the verb 'am playing' is in the present continuous tense. It tells us what 'I am doing' at present.
D. Fill in the blanks with the simple present or present continuous form of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. They _____ to school everyday. (go)
2. They _____ to school now. (go)
3. The dog _____ whenever it sees any stranger. (bark)
4. The dog _____ now because it has seen a cat. (bark)
5. We _____ in the pool right now. (swim)
The Topics covered by this site are categorized below:
"Vandana Sachar, M.A. Eco, teaching English upto 10th Class for the last 15 years"
214-215 G, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar,